Oct 28, 2018
Steeped in the tradition of the folk guitar, but constantly
refined by his classical studies, Ulli Bögershausen’s playing
continues to leave audiences with the best of both worlds.
His playing has been called “breathtaking in its intertwined
harmonies and its unfailing timing.” His performances have been
considered “as if from a fairy tale”, and his albums have been
regarded as models of “sensitive string wizardry” and of “guitar
music for the 21st century”.
Besides touring and recording, Ulli is well known for his 16
guitar books. His collections of arrangements of famous pop songs
are entitled “Personal Favorites” and “More Personal Favorites.”
They continually around the world and help thousands of guitar
players build their repertoire.
In this episode Ulli and I chat about his classical guitar
influence, technique, how he arranges, current projects, and how he
is currently “hacking” Spotify 🙂.
- 2:11 Welcome Ulli!
- 4:48 Ulli’s earliest musical inspiration – the Beatles
- 7:08 Ulli’s current inspirations & his Celtic
- 7:58 Why he’s leaning away from pop tunes and heading to
lullabies & Celtic music
- 14:46 Ulli’s technique concepts based in classical studies
- 17:45 His step by step approach to creating arrangements
- 20:20 Challenges of barre chords vs open strings
- 22:50 We discuss cross string melodies for flow to keep
- guitar ringing.
- 25:29 Music – Ulli plays “In A Constant State of Flux”
- 28:30 Ulli’s approach to “hacking” Spotify through
- the algorithms
- 35:47 Ulli’s new book and why the lessons are on Youtube – for
- 37:00 What’s in his new book?
- 39:06 Ulli’s home based daily workshops.
- 40:21 His history as a jazz record producer in the 1980’s
- 45:15 Ulli’s experience in a band playing electric guitar
- 46:44 Does Ulli have any other hobbies or interests? Find
- 49:25 We talk about personal strengths and weaknesses
- 52:00 Finding satisfaction in one’s own music
- 53:21 What are his personal musical priorities?
- 58:27 Ulli’s best advice for guitar players
- 1:04 What does Ulli do every day to stay on point?
- 1:06 Ulli’s simple studio setup.
- 1:11 Music – Ulli plays “At the End of the Day”
About the Podcast
Ask me a question for the podcast Q & A episodes HERE -
Learn my solo arrangements and get private video guitar coaching
& feedback from me studywithadam.com
Like, join friend us on the Facebook podcast page
Find the podcast online at http://www.adamrafferty.com/podcast and
also at http://fingerstyleguitarhangout.com/