Dec 22, 2018
Petteri Sariola (1984) is a fingerstyle virtuoso and a
singer/songwriter from Helsinki, Finland. He’s known for his fierce
live performances, beautiful songwriting and percussive approach on
the acoustic guitar.
Sariola has been awarded with Nokia Young Talent scholarship,
Honorary Prize in the Helsinki Funk Awards and been on the cover
“Frets” (USA) and twice on the cover of Akustik Gitarre (DE), the
biggest acoustic guitar magazine of Europe.
Petteri has opened concerts for Tori Amos (USA), Andy McKee
(USA) and Rodrigo Y Gabriela (MEX), to name a few.
His brand new solo album “Resolution” has received raving
reviews and it concludes a 10 year project of creating a trilogy of
albums containing original compositions.
In this episode Petteri Sariola and I chat about his influences,
classical studies, gear, the “meaning of song” and more…enjoy!
(Time stamps are for audio version of the podcast.)
- 3:43 Petteri talks about his inspiration & influences –
Michael Jackson, Miles Davis, Green Day & Living Color
- 5:05 Early on – seeing his mom on stage
- 6:00 His 10 years of classical studies, how it shaped him
- 8:07 Benefits of classical study, what it’s good for and what
- 15:56 His vital musical relationship with his brother
- 16:45 Indian solfeggio & African percussion studies
- 23:58 Music Track “The Clockwork”
- 27:00 His bands – “The Northern Governors” & “Dead Sirius
- 28:52 I ask Petteri about his playing approach &
- 30:30 Network Connection Breakdown – Sorry!
- 30:55 New network connection – playing technique & live
- 31:29 Petteris concept regarding “the 80 possible movements” of
- 33:45 His live sound
- 37:34 Using several pickups & his pedalboard &
- 39:52 His mixer QSC Touch mix 16
- 43:20 Currently learning jazz chops & electronic music hip
hop & techno
- 50:17 What music is Petteri listening to lately?
- 52:57 Petteri’s advice to guitarists
- 54:19 The importance of ballads & resisting “clickbait”
flashy online playing
- 58:03 His vocal studies & newest CD “Resolution”
- 59:11 The importance & message of “the song”
- 1:00:11 Concerto de Aranjuez – I tell the story
- 1:02:11 Outgrowing older songs – and can you play them
- 1:13:18 Music Track – guitar & vocals “Howling at the
About the Podcast
Ask me a question for the podcast Q & A episodes HERE -
Learn my solo arrangements and get private video guitar coaching
& feedback from me studywithadam.com
Like, join friend us on the Facebook podcast page
Find the podcast online at http://www.adamrafferty.com/podcast and
also at http://fingerstyleguitarhangout.com/